When faced with five forks on the left side of your small plate on any given Tuesday night, its nice to know that your clothes have your back. Five forks are a lot to navigate. You do not want to worry about what you have on.
For husband’s wine and food group meeting chose black tights, black bodysuit, black, grey and leather detail chiffon skirt, black suede boots, and pop of bright marigold bag. Life has moved fast, outfit composition is secondary but needs to stay strong. And, it’s freezing outside.
Nothing like an endless flight of California Cabs to warm things up:
- Simi Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley Special Reserve 1974
- Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 1971
- Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 1978
- Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 1978
- Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon International Vineyard Monterey 1978
- Leaky Lake Reserve Napa Valley 1978
- Burgess Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 1974
- Burgess Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Bella Oaks Vineyard 1976
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Bella Oaks Vineyard 1984
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Bella Oaks Vineyard 1995
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Bella Oaks Vineyard 1996
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Martha’s Vineyard 1986
- Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Bella Oaks Vineyard 1987
- Heitz Cellars ‘Port’ Napa Valley 1994
Are you kidding me? Bonus points about blogging is that you get to record this kind of stuff and pull it up on your iPhone for future reference. Amazing wines. Have to say the favorite was the Leaky Lake Reserve Napa Valley 1978. Great licorice.
For the foodies here are the accompaniments:
- Fortified Oxtail Consomme, Oxtail Dumpling and Brunoise
- Gorgonzola and Grape Terrine, Polenta Cracker, Mache, must say best chip and dip ever and the mache makes you feel good about it
- Seared Ahi Tuna, Baby Root Vegetables, Salsify Puree
- Braised Veal Cheek, Merchad de Vin, Rosti Potato, Forest Mushroom, Double Smoke Bacon, as beautiful as this was just couldn’t do it
- Dark Chocolate Torte, Blackberry Compote, Toasted Pistachio, Bitter Sweet Chocolate Mousse, Dark Chocolate Ganache
Monnie always said start on the outer side and work yourself in. Move slowly. Enjoy the process. Kind of ironic words for both life and forks. Five forks and fifteen different wines? No problem. Just make sure what you are wearing backs you up and causes no distractions.
Thank you Barney Rhodes for your contributions to the era of California wine. New friends from LA with parallel lives were made and it was a night we will not forget. Nothing quite like breaking bread and tasting fine wines on a Tuesday, or any given night.
Every day dress is thankful for life’s many blessings.
Tights and bodysuit | Wolford | really smart way to dress on a cold winter night